Friday 20 April 2012

Skillets at the Crown and Thistle, Abingdon

After a hearty swim on Easter Sunday, we found ourselves in great hunger and I asked the good lady what she knew of in Abingdon.  She reminded me of the Crown and Thistle, so it was there we ended up just after 12pm, and found ourselves in Skillets, their new separate restaurant.



It might have been because we were the first punters there, but the welcome at Skillets was excellent.  It being Easter, they were keen to press all manner of chocolate into the palm of the little one (who's not allowed that sort of thing yet).  The Sunday Lunch was a carvery, and the good lady and I both opted for the lamb.  The slices were nice and thick, and we were able to load up our plates as much as their dimensions would allow.



We were informed that we could have any ale available in the pub, not just the one on tap in Skillets, so I opted for something light and golden and blow me down if I haven't forgotten the name of it, something like Sunburst.  Anyway, it was gorgeous.  As is my way when stirred by excellent service, good food and a fine ale, a warm glow descended over me, although when the little one decided to spread brocolli over the floor my reverie came to an abrupt end.  Still, for just short of 9 quid this was a fine choice indeed, and the restaurant has just that level of smartness that you could take your mum and dad there, but don't feel too out of place in jeans and T-shirt.  8/10.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment